Barcode scanning in a lot of industries is a must! There has always been numerous system which allow paid add-ons to integrate with the system to make this functionality work! However, with the new Unified Interface (UI), Dynamics 365 has integrated this functionality directly into its mobile app!
The whole reason for the new UI was to allow a unified and modernised look for dynamics no matter what technological device you were building! To an extent, its main job was to make the system responsive and adapt to all screen sizes. However, this is not the only benefit we have seen from the new UI. Along with this, Dynamics 365 have introduced numerous new features, including their latest Custom Controls!
Custom controls allow dynamics users to overlay some pre-determined logic to achieve new functionalities within the system. One being, BARCODE SCANNING! Not only is the logic built-in to the system, it can be applied within minutes! No code, no complicated set up, just creating a field and applying the custom control.
Create a Single Line of Text field where you would like the barcode number to be store
2. Click into the field properties, and select ‘custom control’ on the top menu
3. Click on ‘more’ and look for ‘barcode scanner’
4. Apply this functionality to mobile and tablet (depending on your needs). Please note, the barcode scanner only works on the mobile app)
5. Click save and publish changes!
Using the barcode scanner
1. Login to the mobile app
2. Navigate to the form which contains the scanner
3. On the barcode field, there is an icon on the right-hand side which will need to be selected.
Please note, there are times in which you need to click on another field to see this icon (we’re assuming this is a current bug).
4. Once you have selected the icon, the bar code scanner (from your camera) will appear – hover over the barcode
5. The app will ‘beep’ and store your barcode number!
It really is that easy! If you would like to know more about the capabilities of Dynamics 365, please feel free to contact us on 0161 711 0418 !